- This event has passed.
Garment workers Central May Day gathering and colorful Rally held – 2019
May 1, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm UTC+6
National Garment Workers Federation organized garment workers central gathering and colorful rally on “The Great May Day 2019” held on Wednesday 01 May 2019 at 9:30 am in Purana Paltan Mor, Dhaka. More than 3 thousand workers majority are women participated
in the gathering and colorful rally.
The program main theme was ……
No more Dead, Poverty & Labour Slavery _ Ensure Safe Workplace, Living Wage & Free Trade Union Right
NGWF raised the voice following 15 issues:
- Implement new wage board to all the factories.
- Wants Living wages implementation for all the workers.
- No more fires, accidents, death of workers – ensure safe and improved work environment
- Withdrawal 35 false case against the workers
- Reinstate more than 11 thousand workers who have been illegally terminated.
- Stop harassment of workers by the blacklist
- Stop harassment by excuse of production target.
- Overtime allowance have pay to the Jacquard Machine operator in sweater factory for the extra work except 8 hour general duty.
- Immediately start employment Injury Scheme.
- Changing the existing laws of the Compensation Act, according to the current reality
and the ILO Convention 121.
- Remove all the barriers of trade union formation.
- Implement Maternity leave for 6 month in all non-government sectors including
garments, like the government sector.
- Rationing system, safe maternity center, day care center and housing have to allocation in the national budget for the garment workers’.
- Ensure rights of trade union of EPZ, Agriculture and Domestic Workers.
- Ensure equal rights of women in family, state, society and workplace.
In addition to the above mentioned issues NGWF added that “Accord should continue for the safety work in Bangladesh”.
Comrade Rashed Khan Menon M.P, President – Workers Party of Bangladesh, President – Parliamentary Standing Committee on Social Welfare Ministry was present the occasion as chief guest and gave important speech on workers’ rights.
Lutfun Nesa Khan Beauty M.P was present the occasion as special guest and gave speech on workers’ issues.
Amirul Haque Amin, President of National Garment Worker Federation and Garment Worker Leader presided the program. And program was coordinated by the Mrs. Arifa Akhter, General Secretary, NGWF.
Other speakers: Md. Faruq Khan, Mis. Safia Parvin, Md. Kabir Hossain, Mrs. Nasima Akter, Mohammad Rafiqul Islam Rafiq, Md. Faridul Islam, Israt Jahan Ela.